These are in no particular order!
- Watching Ben impersonate Elvis Presley following a family viewing of America's Got Talent
- Teaching the kids all the words for bodily functions, then practicing burping :)
- Praying together
- Playing soccer, basketball, baseball, puzzles, Uno, together as a family. (We actually have had to institute the Uniform Rule - if you are NOT wearing a uniform you cannot complain or get angry about a game). I have 7 VERY COMPETITIVE children - yes, I meant 7... Ben totally counts!
- Going to bed when the kids are not ready and listening to them laugh and throw stuffed animals at each other
- Teaching the kids to swim
- Riding in the Suburban singing 'Funkytown' with the Chipmunks
- Learning all about the kids life in Ethiopia and knowing it is OK for us to ask questions.
- Practicing for our "Family Band" - We are beyond horrible but have a great time playing our maracas, guitars, pianos, tambourines... you get the idea!
- Talking to Mesalech on the phone while the whole family gathers around to listen.
These past 3 months have been pretty much wonderful! I still get stressed out about the mess and the laundry and the grocery shopping - but I will get over it! I hope! :)
There are lots of things that the experts tell you to be sure to do... or not to do... but the best advice we got was to HAVE FUN! We have certainly done that! We have also done lots of things that the books say not to do... send them to school right away, take them out of the home the first couple of weeks, introduce them to extended family too soon... we have ignored all of that advice and it was the best move we could have made for our kiddos. Just tonight I overheard Ben and Joseph talking about the fact that the kids have been here for almost 3 months and Joseph said, "3 months very fast Dad. Very good."
Are there things we wish we hadn't done... yes, I am sure that there are, and the kids will probably remind us of them for the rest of our lives. But that is OK because right now I can hear the kids having fun (they are supposed to be asleep) while Ben is relaxing and watching the Mariner's... Life is Good!