"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How many is too many?

I have always wanted 6 kids. Always. I NEVER thought it would actually happen. And in all honesty when I heard someone tell me they had 6 (or more) kids there was a small part of me that thought they were nuts. Sometimes I still do. I don't mean the kind of nuts where you try to hit squirrels with your car... more like the kind of nuts that wonders how you do the dinner and the laundry and the kisses.

Lately I have become very aware of the stares we get being a family of 8. We definately attract a bit of attention wherever we go. At the store the other day the lady asked if I had more kids... at my daycare. I quickly responded that they were all mine and she looked at me like I was nuts. I wanted to tell her that my kids all get kisses and clean clothes and reasonably healthy dinners. I wanted to tell the people in line behind me that we love having 6 kids and we would even consider adopting more because we love being parents. I wanted the entire store to know that we aren't nuts. Why???? I honestly don't know.

The great things about having 6 kids...

  • There is always someone who wants to cuddle on the couch.
  • The kids always have someone to play with.
  • There is always someone to play with the dog and water the flowers on the porch.
  • I never worry about wasting food - someone always eats it.
  • Someone always remembers to bring the camera - and take pictures!
  • Someone always eats those last cookies that are too crunchy or old and cereal never gets stale.
  • There is almost always someone singing or laughing.
  • There is always someone to read with.
  • Eventually they all go to sleep! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They're all yours, and they're all beautiful - and they're all incredibly lucky kids!!!

Linny Best said...

I don't think your crazy! But I understand the crazy stares...I WANT to have 6 kids. My husband and I are expecting our fist this fall and are looking forward to this being the start of something greater than us. We want to have a few and adopt a few more.

I say, God gave us the desire to be parents, we might as well bless as many as we can along the way! And adopting is a GREAT way to do just that!

Keep it up! And thanks for sharing your story here on the blog.