"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

English + American Movies = Confusion

We watched 2 movies last week and over the weekend. One was Alvin and The Chipmunks and the other was Snow Buddies. Both had animals that talk and do funny things! At one point during the last movie Marta (who is VERY smart) leaned forward and with creased eyebrows asked, "Mom, in America... dogs talk???????????????????????????????????"

OK, so I had to work really hard not to laugh! But as I started thinking about it - that isn't such a goofy question after all. Since the kids have been here they have learned and witnessed first hand that dogs sleep inside (ON A DOG BED), get baths (WITH SHAMPOO), have toys, are talked to, and the dogs sometimes even follow directions. On the movies they do all of this and SO MUCH MORE!

I explained to Marta that dogs do not talk and she looked at me with this smile that was mixed with relief and the knowledge that America wasn't so crazy after all. She then said, "Mom, in America dogs no talk. Dogs listen... dogs understand!"

See, I told you she was smart! :)

1 comment:

jen said...

Oh, that is just AWESOME! I never in a million years would have been able to keep a straight face!!!