"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Doctor Appointments and Bicyles

We spent the day yesterday driving to and from Portland, visiting with Aunt Rebecca and seeing an Adoption MD. It all went well and we were glad to get home! The kids favorite part was seeing Aunt Rebecca, Jesse and THEIR NEW BIKES!!! They are so cool and the kids were beyond thrilled. I will post pictures soon!



I spent a lot of time thinking about the kids last LONG car ride. It was when they left their mom and were taken to the care center/orphanage in Addis. That car ride was about 8 hours and I am guessing one of the saddest times of their lives. I wonder what parts of our drive yesterday stirred memories? Did they have any of those moments when your stomach feels like a giant pit and you want to curl up and cry? Did they think about looking at their mom in the rearview mirror that one last time as they drove away from their home and EVERYTHING they loved?



The kids are adjusting so well that I often forget what a horribly hard road they have traveled to get here. They watched their dad, the man who they loved deeply, get sick and die. They grieved and then soon found that their mom was sick too. And right after that they were told that they were being adopted. What a day of rejoicing it was for us - but the day they were told must have been incomprehensible. I think about that day, that conversation, in terms of Danny - and I get sick to my stomach. Because I cannot imagine it. I cannot believe it is possible. And yet here I sit in a house with 3 kids who have lived it, are adjusting to it and will survive it.



Thank you, God that you were in the car with them as they drove away from Sodo, from their mom, from all that they held dear. Be with them Lord as we adjust to a family life that is so very different. Amen.



I ask that you keep the kids in your prayers this week -- I anticipate that the shock will begin to wear off and the emotions will come. I anticipate that, while they will still be wonderful, it could be a hard few weeks/months as we all adjust and bend to meet each need and fall in love as a family.



There is an old Tanya Tucker song... 'Strong Enough to Bend' That is what I pray we are in the coming weeks!

Here are the lyrics

There's a tree out in the backyard
That never has been broken by the wind
And the reason its still standing
It was strong enough to bend

For years, we have stayed together
As lovers and as friends
What we have will last forever
If we're strong enough to bend

When you say something that you can't take back
Big wind blows and you hear a little crack
When you say "Hey well I might be wrong"
You can sway with the wind till the storm is gone
Sway with the wind till the storm is gone

Like a tree out in the backyard
That never has been broken by the wind
Our love will last forever
If we're strong enough to bend

When you start thinkin' that you know it all
Big wind blows and a branch will fal
lWhen you say "Hey this job takes two"

We can sway with the wind till the skies turn blue
Sway with the wind till the skies turn blue

Like a tree out in the backyard
That never has been broken by the wind
Our love will last forever if we're strong enough to bend
Our love will last forever if we're strong enough to bend.

No comments: