"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, March 10, 2008

Names

Today I had to fill out a credit card authorization to charge our plane tickets to our card. One of the questions said

I authorize ticket purchases for ___________________________



I wrote - Ben S..., Brooke S..., Adisu S..., Marta S... and Esrael S...



It was so surreal/weird/amazing/perfect to write their names like that, especially now that we are officially theirs... I remember calling the pediatrician for the first time and making Danny's appointment. I remember saying, "I need to make an appointment for my son" and being amazed that he was mine. Today I was amazed that they were mine and I could buy tickets for them and schedule appointments for them... they are mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it, or is it just me thinking this is so very wonderful?

I was also thinking about their names. As most of you know we aren't quite sure what to do with Adisu's name. Especially because we already have an Addy and Adisu sounds quite feminine. We have a whole list of options but I keep going back to a comment from a friend of mine. "Their name is the only thing that they will bring." That's it... no clothes, no toys, no pictures, no letters. The clothes they wear when we pick them up have to be returned to the orphanage. The only thing that Adisu will have is the name his mother gave him. How do we change that? At this point, our plan is to have a translator help us talk to him about it all. Maybe there is another pronunciation, maybe he has a nickname, maybe he loves his middle name... or maybe we just have an Adisu and an Addyson. I don't know but I can certainly add it to my prayers knowing that it will be fine.

3 comments:

LISA said...

Just popped over,finding your blog on ET emails.Wow! You definetly have a lot to be excited about!!!Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

It's not just you thinking that this is wonderful. Also, the name thing will sort itself out. It's almost as if you shouldn't worry about it at all, but I know you better than that.

jen said...

Isn't this part - when you are adjusting to them really being yours - so much fun!!!

Just a thought: people in Addis pronounce Addis Ababa with the beginning A's differently than most Americans. It is the sound that you make after the doctor says, "Say Aaaah!" It's not a short a, like in apple. So perhaps you could pronounce his name more like Aaaah-di-su, instead of Addy-sue. (?)