"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

To Ethiopia and Home Part VII

That night I ended up with a bad headache so Rebecca and Ben entertained the kids with her laptop. Marti entertained them with her "gymnastics" and the boys just had fun hanging out.



From Part VI
I had no idea how much a headache would worry the kids. No idea at all! They still worry every time I don't feel 100% - it makes sense and breaks my heart all at the same time.
We woke up on Thursday with anxious hearts. We had to return to the German Embassy to get our transit visas... and they were not overly helpful. I had finally figured out that the kids did not like pancakes or eggs for breakfast. They were perfectly happy to have a roll and tea or water. No Fruit Loops for them I assumed - I was wrong, they love them! :) Once we got dressed and ready we headed for the car with our $312 to pay for our German visas. We debated about taking more money but we decided that we would only need birr (Ethiopian money) for the rest of the day.

We arrived at the German Embassy and were quickly separated. They only allow 2 people in at a time and so I went with Jacob, then Ben followed with Marti. That meant we left Rebecca and Joseph outside the embassy walls alone. I was nervous. We were in a not so nice area next to a river where people bathed. I was so worried that someone would see Rebecca and think she was alone and steal her... I am such a worrier that way. Soon enough we were all back together and inside the waiting room with our paperwork filled out EXACTLY the way the man had told us to do it the day before.
When it was finally our turn we learned that the exchange rate had changed overnight and we needed $30 more dollars for our visas - we only had birr and had no idea what to do. We all searched our pockets and panicked. If we didn't get our visas we would have to stay for a few more days... and I REALLY WANTED TO GET HOME! Finally, Rebecca got the idea to ask if someone would "sell us some money". When we first asked they looked at us like we were crazy... after a minute one lady figured out that she would be making some serious money by exchanging our money. I think I may have hugged her because I was so excited. :) Phew... we were going home! OH! But not so fast. The same man informed me that I did not make enough copies of our plane tickets and that we would have to return tomorrow. Ummm.... let's just say that the "momma bear" came out fighting and I quickly showed him where I had written notes the day before and that no where did it say that we needed what he was asking for. In addition, I could see the copy machine right behind him and it seemed like since there was a break down in communication it would be best if he helped us immediately. I am guessing that it was NOT my excellent persuasion that encouraged him to make the copies... instead it was probably the fact that he could tell that "that crazy ferengi lady was about to start screaming and crying" if he didn't fix the problem.
15 minutes later, visas in hand, we were back in the car and I was all smiles!

We settled in for a long car ride out of the city to a place called Summer Lakes. It is an area with many lakes in a rural part of Ethiopia. The drive was absolutely beautiful. The acacia trees, small villages, and farms made me feel far from home. The kids sang and talked and cuddled the whole way - they were so cute! We arrived at a restaurant overlooking the largest lake. It was a very nice restaurant but still had a bathroom that made you willing to 'hold it' for a long time! The kids took over the camera during our wait and had a blast posing and showing off!












After lunch we went to a park and walked around. It was about 90 degrees so the lake water looked very inviting until we heard about the alligators that frequent the area. They had a dock with boats for rent... we decided to skip it! :)








After an hour or two we headed back to Addis and planned for a relaxing evening at the hotel. We called Mesalech that night. Dawit, our driver, translated for Ben and I as the kids talked to her and told her that they were OK. Joseph, while listening to Marti and Jacob talk, was praying and thanking God and had the biggest grin on his face. Ben and I got to "talk" to Mesalech too... it was wonderful and overwhelming and exciting and heart breaking and terrible all at the same time. We all cried and laughed throughout the conversation.


Once we hung up the phone we headed to Aunt Rebecca's room for a distraction. Later, we had some dinner, said our prayers and fell into a deep and sometimes troubled sleep - knowing that the next day we would be leaving Ethiopia.

No comments: