"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Letters Home

Tonight I wrote a letter to Mesalech. We are sending it with a group from AWOP that is traveling to Sodo next week. They are taking letters from us and the kids, pictures, and sponsorship packages so that we can sponsor Mesalech and the boys. We (actually from my sister mostly) will begin sending money each month that will help pay for medecines, job training and food so that her burdens will be lightened. I am so thankful for this opportunity to support her and the boys. After being there and seeing what it takes to survive, I am glad we can help a little.

What did I write in the letter... all the things I would want to know if my kids were somewhere else. Are they healthy, growing, happy? Are they reading their Bibles? Are they being good? I told her all about the fun experiences they are having too. The swimming, school, sports, birthdays, vacations... all the important stuff. We are sending almost 50 pictures of the kids along with the letters. Pictures of them goofing off with their siblings as well as pictures that show they are happy. I wonder what she will think? I hope that the tears she will probably shed will be from relief at knowing they are well not because the letters will cause her to hurt all over again.

There are so many different philosphies on this part of adoption. I never expected that I would be such a supporter of the communication that we have had. But I truly believe it has made all the difference in our kids adjustment and bonding. Does it hurt sometimes? Sure. The other night Jacob got out of bed and was asking Marta for a picture of "his mom". He wasn't talking about me. My heart skipped a beat and then we walked hand in hand downstairs where we found the picture he wanted. He told me all about Mesalech's kisses and spankings. He told me that he missed her and that she was beautiful. He told me that she wore a scarf in her hair most days. I think he was forgetting her... being able to talk about her and look at her picture calmed him and he went to sleep happy.

1 comment:

Mommy said...

Please tell me more about sponsoring families and sending packages through AWOP.

Michelle Gardner was our case manager to adopt 3 children from Ethiopia through CWA.