"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Late Nights

I really thought I was going to miss staying up late with Ben watching TV in our room. In fact, if you had asked me, "What will you miss most, what will change when you have 6 kids?" I might have said the TV thing, or maybe naptime which often involved catching up on an episode of Lost... I really loved TV. Now, I rarely watch it and don't miss it at all. Our nights follow a very loose routine (I know... I can hear my friends being shocked) which MIGHT include the following:

6ish -- dinner followed by intense soccer or basketball games
7ish -- baths and showers - we almost always run out of hot water
8ish -- prayers and bed time for Lilly and Addy followed by bedtime for Danny and Jacob

This is where the fun begins... Marta, Joseph, Ben and I stay up and talk or just hang out. Last night they told us about life in Wolayta... they did fantastic impressions of the "rich" people in Wolayta and the way they walk around talking on their cell phones. They also told us more about school and their mom and their life at home. Wolayta is a largish village/town that has approximately 10,000 people. There are 11 schools (6 primary, 4 high schools and 1 brand new University). When you think of the schools and universities - do not imagine a typical American school. Imagine a very old building made of mud and wood that may have dirt floors. Imagine 30-40 kids of all ages in each grade. In Ethiopia you begin at Kinder - no matter how old you are. You only advance to the next grade if you are academically ready to move. The teachers regularly hit the children for talking, not paying attention or getting an answer wrong. Marta says, "America teachers VERY NICE." They also talked about work. Joseph built beds... that was his job and his boss was sad when he moved. He built them by hand - now power saws or drills. Joseph got paid each time he worked 6 hours. He was paid 10 birr for every 6 hours. That is less than 20 cents an hour - and he loved his job. He told us that each month he saved up for a ruler or a pencil or a pen to use at school. Their mom made custom comforters for beds. She could make 2 or 3 a month and sold them for 160 birr ($16) each. I guess that is why they didn't have money for Joseph's books or uniform the semester he left for Addis. I guess that is why they didn't have money for meat.

One of the funny things (I think it is funny anyway) was that Marta and Joseph both woke up at 7 to get to school on time, Joseph to eat breakfast... Marta to make it! She had to leave for school at the same time but had to make breakfast for everyone first! The first couple days home, Joseph would wait for me or Marta to hand him his breakfast (even if it was just across the table)... He is learning!!!!! Marta cooked on a stove type thing outside of their home... the kitchen was partially enclosed (I think) and she had to get water from a pump nearby. They usually had dabo (bread) and tea or coffee. The process of making coffee is amazing. She would first roast the beans over an open fire, then grind them by hand, then make the cofee.... And I have trouble remembering to turn on the coffee pot at home! At 7:40 they would walk to school. Each of them had about a 15 minute walk to school each day and they often walked it in shoes too big or too small for their feet. They talked about getting gifts... Marta had a doll, once.

I am constantly amazed at the changes they are accepting and embracing each day - with joy. But it still must be hard, I bet Marta misses her outdoor kitchen where she knew her role and understood how to help. I am sure Joseph missed knowing EVERYONE in town and being able to talk to them without worrying about using the right words!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, I love reading all about the kids and what life was like then and what your lives are like now. Thank you so much for sharing. Lisa Shoop (I work with Ben!)