"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doro Wat by Benji the Ferenji

On Friday, afterschool, my friend Becca presented me with a gift that is pretty much priceless around our house – FRESH INJERA!!!!!!!!!!!  Injera is the staple food of Ethiopia; it is a sourish flat bread that is eaten with most of the food made in Ethiopia.   Our kids absolutely and totally love injera and were so excited to have it!  I liken it to the way I felt about milk when I was in England and Ethiopia – I wanted it, I NEEDED it and craved it the entire time I was gone!

 

OH! But can I serve injera with cereal??? I was seriously planning on doing waffles and cereal for dinner that night!  Oh well! 

 

I quickly whip out (for the first time) my Ethiopian cookbook to make Doro Wat (Chicken with spices).  I breathe a sigh of relief that I have all most the ingredients I need:  eggs, chicken, berbere (spice), salt, oil, butter, pepper, comubatgetare (that is not really what the spice is called but I can't remember the name) ginger, lime, and onions!

 

Meanwhile Marta is DYING to take out her extensions and needs help.   So, I put Ben in charge of the Doro Wat and I head out to begin the 2 hour process of taking out Marta's braids! 

 

The pictures say it all!  Ben is the KING OF DORO WAT and once again proved that he is the man of my dreams.  It was seriously better than the Doro Wat we had at the Ethiopian restaurant in Portland

 

Way to go, Benji the Ferenji!

1 comment:

jen said...

Ha! You should get an award for the BEST post title ever - you are too funny! :)