"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Phone Calls

The kids were in a funk today... certainly to be expected! The last 2 days have been more emotional for them and we even have had a couple of "Time Out's". After church Joseph was especially having a hard day. He is rarely grumpy but today was different. No smiles, no teasing... We decided to let the kids call home today -- we had planned on doing it next week but felt that today was the day! Their mom does not have a phone but a neighbor does so we spent about 20 minutes trying to get through! We finally reached Bereket (the neighbor) who ran to get Mom! The joy that shone on the kids faces was indescribable. Ben and I both got to talk also. When I talked to Anat (Ethiopian Mom) our conversation went like this:

American Mom (Me): Hello
Ethiopian Mom: I love
American Mom: Thank you
Ethiopian Mom: Thank you children
American Mom: Amasayganalo, Xabier (thank you, Jesus) Konjo (beautiful) children
Ethiopian Mom: OK
American Mom: I love you, I love you!

It sounds very dorky when put like that... but trust me, it was wonderful!

I loved watching the kids talk. Anat (Mom in Ethiopian) was so excited to hear that we have a piano IN OUR HOUSE! Joseph played a quick "tune" for her... Note to self: Joseph definitely needs lessons! Jacob yelled into the phone for 10 minutes and then sat on my lap while grinning from ear to ear for the rest of the hour. Marta talks like me and Anat - her hands were flying around the entire time she was on the phone. Joseph is such a man but his joy at talking to the woman who loves him more than anyone in the world was very obvious. I am so glad for the time they had on the phone. We also got an address (probably a neighbor) so we hope to be able to send pictures soon. I wonder what she will think of the pictures of them riding bikes, going to school and being kids?

Does this hurt our bonding to let them call home? Is it harder for their mom when we call? Are we sure that we should be calling and letting them talk to mom every month or so? The answers to those questions are hard. We have used our heart to direct this part of the process and feel that their connection to Anat and Ethiopia is as important as their bond to us and America... if they felt that is had to be a choice between the two -- which would they choose??? I am thankful that we don't feel that it has to one or the other!

God has blessed us with 6 amazing kids. 3 kids who have loved us their whole lives and are now willingly sharing us. 3 kids who have lost everything that was dear to them and are learning to love us and trust us with their hopes and dreams. Amasayganalo, Jesus!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I think you are very Ethiopian in your thinking to let them have that connection. By Ethiopian, I am referring to complete unselfish love of children so evident in their culture. Gobez to you!
Selam