"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fine Line

It's a very fine line between being "mean" and "training" our kiddos in the ways of our home and their new home. Jacob has a wonderfully strong personality and knows his likes and dislikes. He will also share those very passionately at times. Yesterday he came home from school because he was "sick". His sickness was due to a peanut butter sandwich that did not look good to him. I am sure that part of his illness also came from being tired - but he was magically healed when the bikes came out after school. We had a little chat before school today that if he was "pouting or moping" (which I did a great charades routine to demonstrate) then he would get no TV or bike today... mean, I know! We also did charades for "EAT YOUR LUNCH" at school. I think I got the point across. I just called to check on him -- for the 2nd time today -- and all is well! He semi-reluctantly ate his lunch and was happy to go to recess. Phew...

The other "training" opportunities which present themselves include:
toilet paper roll replacement, toilet seat positioning, dishwasher loading, garbage taking out, laundry recepticle useage, spitting etiquitte, remote control - control, volume control, singing 6 different songs in the car - ALL AT ONCE, being quiet when people are sleeping, not turning on the lights when people are sleeping, speaking Amharic at the dinner table (outlawed at dinner as of last Saturday), saying, "No, Thank-you" when you do not want somehting, eating at least a few bites of whatever is offered for dinner - I am NOT a short order cook, computer care and useage, the use of a refridgerator and freezer, bicycle and car safety issues, seatbelt use, shower curtain use - it MUST BE INSIDE THE SHOWER to work properly....

I am sure there are more but that was the list from THIS MORNING :) Just kidding - sort of! It is such a funny thing to have to do so much of this all at once. I bet their brains are just spinning! I think about how much my brain absorbed while in Ethiopia and how many things I completely missed because I was so busy being overwhelmed by the sights, smells and experiences... I try to keep this in mind when I have to repeat things over and over...

Thank you God, for patience and your PERFECT PEACE! Amen!

No comments: